Being Citybroke is about perspective. It’s about seeing glitter in the gutter and a sense of humor when life is giving you everything you don’t exactly want and you’re hanging on for a dream that you sometimes can’t remember.
It’s not sales or survival - it’s an electronic letter from the trenches. It’s what suits who make $60K in at age 24 can’t even imagine. It’s Freedom. It’s Poverty. It’s Broken. It’s Beautiful.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

This Chick Did Not Deserve Her Job

When I crash landed in New York, I took an unpaid internship at a New York Travel/Lifestyle magazine in Rock Plaza.
2 Reasons why the recently axed managing editor SUCKED.

1st
She stiffed me. She knew I was broke and 3000 miles away from home and she promised to pay me for the freelance work I did when I left the intership. I even sent her humble emails, begging for my 350 bucks. Ignored. **Noteworthy, she is a total cake-eater. She grew up on the Upper East and dropped names all day. She sucked. I am confident no one ever dropped her name. Learn why below.

2nd
She was an ignorant, unintelligent, chubby, perennially without boyfriend snob. We go to lunch with the friend of a friend who got me the underpaid intership and he says, "You know, typical WASPY types." (Remember when I said she grew up on the UES?)
She says, "What's a WASP?"
Pause - She is a managing editor of a lifestyle/travel pub.
He says, "You know, like white, Protestant."
She says, "What's Protestant."
We both are in shock.
He kindly says, "You know, like, yuppy JCrew."
She nods, not understanding.
I say, "Christian - but not Catholic? Like the Reformation?"
Her pale blue eyes were empty pools of non-recognition.
The fof steered the conversation away from these tricky concepts and then we all went back to work. Me in my cube and she in her corner office.
She sucked.

No comments: